Saturday, February 20, 2010

In Memoriam

Kaitlin's fish, Prince Fredrick IX, died last Sunday. I just can't stop thinking about the little guy. We grew real close. He was the most tallented fish you have ever seen. He would do little tricks, half way out of the water (the way dolphins do), when he knew you were about to feed him. And he always blew bubbles when I was singing in the kitchen. In fact, I could swear that I once heard him singing along to his favorite song, "Under the Sea." Fred's favorite movie was "Finding Nemo." Even more than movies, however, he loved spending one-on-one time with me, watching college football on Saturday mornings when Kaitlin was gone.

Fred proved to me that beta fish are even more faithful than golden retrievers. On more than one occasion, he saved my life. Last fall, when I was very sick with the Swine Flu, he stayed by my side as I lay helpless in bed, gently reassuring me by holding my fingernail with a caring fin. Yes, he was a cute little fish, but on the inside, he had the heart of a whale.

I'll miss you Fred. You were a very good fish!

2 comments:

  1. I feel honored to have been able to be the one who brought this little fish with an enormous spirit into your life! He will be missed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so sad to hear about your loss. You are in our thoughts. This is why a knowledge of life after death is so comforting - we at least know he is in a happier place. Our deepest condolences!

    ReplyDelete